Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Cruising the Coast

The bike rental place I’m looking for is an empty shop, out of business. LP promises that the waterfront is full of bike rental shops, and I have plenty of opportunities to rent a car, but not a bike. I go down the beach a bit further and find a gear rental shop with working bikes. I procure efectivo and comida and I start pedaling to Punta Loma.



My first stop is Ecocentro, a multimedia marine information center, that is full of beautiful displays. The modern and clean bathroom alone makes me happy. I browse the displays and climb the stairs to a tower overlooking the ocean. There’s a library along the wall in case one wants to hang out there for a few hours which wouldn’t be a bad idea.



I continue down a wide, sandy road, never getting deep enough to bog me down. I reach Punta Loma, a popular sea lion viewing point, and the attendant tracks me down to greet me and collect 10 pesos, but I decide to move on. I soon reach an impasse. Large dunes eclipsing 100 feet hem me onto the coast and the road peters out in some smaller dunes. I scamper up a road on a larger dune barely keeping my footing on the steeply pitched pebbles and sand. I’m not sure who in their right mind would and could follow this road with a vehicle.



I roll and carry my bike through thorny flora, occasionally stepping over guanaco guano, but never spotting the actual animal. I cross and climb washes and finally come to rest on a dune overlooking the ocean and eat my lunch. I return along the beach and the sand and rock shelf on the coast is a great medium for riding. I head towards some sand cliffs riding atop the undulating white rock intermitantly growing seaweed in its divets. I catch my tire in a colony and slip into a murky seaweed filled hole which sucks me in and I have a difficult time getting out.



I steer as far as I can from the seaweed on the way back and find my way back to the road much quicker than my journey from it.



I cruise back, passing the familiar landmarks quickly. All’s well until I pedal up the last hill and feel myself starting to bounce and fishtail. I have a flat tire almost three kilometers from home. Rather than trying to negotiate the tiny pump I start to hoof it home pushing the bike. This is when I fully realize the pain and stiffness in my left knee. I aggravated it while riding the leaden bike in Mendoza and now its reaching its full, painful, potential. I hobble down to the beach and plot out the straightest line I can to where I estimate the rental place should be. I return the bike, which in addition to the flat, is splotched with sand and bits of seaweed. The young attendant wishes me suerte.
I while my time away writing postcards and sipping a submarino at Havannah before dinner which is a much worse version of pizza than the night before.

No comments: